If it is time for you to get new window treatments, and you are undecided between two particular ones that is, blinds and shades, this article will help you make a better decision. There are lots of things for you to consider, and we will cover the basics.
Both shades and blinds have a lot of similarities when it comes to their purposes. They both shield you from the sunlight, provide privacy and make your windows look good. They both come in a lot of different materials. Blinds come in materials like wood, vinyl and fabric whereas shades come in different types of fabrics and textures. Shades and blinds both can be hung on their own or with curtains.
- There are two distinct types of blinds; horizontal and vertical. Vertical blinds work great for sliding doors and windows, where as horizontal blinds, like roman blinds, roller blinds, work better for windows that are small or medium sized and open outwards.
- They are both easy to clean, and will probably be good with some light dusting.
- Blinds and shades can be both raised with a cord mechanism.
- Blinds have vanes through which you can get a view of the outside world, whereas shades are just one piece of fabric with no opening.
- You can adjust blinds with how much light you want in the room, whereas with shades you cannot.
- Blinds are almost the same as shades, but shades have some bells and whistles attached to them that make them stand out.
- Shades come in more designs as compared to blinds such as cellular shades, roller shades, etc.
How to choose between the two?
Your choice of window treatment will entirely depend on what look you are trying to create for the room. If you are looking to block out light completely in your bedroom, blinds are very effective in this aspect. Shades are better for study rooms, that don’t complete block out the light even when down. When it comes to colours and textures, you will find a plethora of those in both shades and blinds. There are some shops that offer in-home consultations, so you can consider getting those if you are really confused. They will tell you exactly what your room needs, and will get the proper measurements so your new blinds or shades are a perfect fit.